One more thing before you get started....sorry, but this burger (and most veggie burgers) do not do well on the grill- they just don't stay together. You could put them on a veggie grill tray on the grill or cook them in a pan on the stove. The natural juices of the veggies & pureed squash will keep this together along with the chilled rice or quinoa- make sure you chill the rice/quinoa before adding it to the burger- otherwise it will not stick as well. Also, make a bunch- they freeze well!
The photo is of my creation but I was so focused on eating it I forgot to take a picture of it on the bun with all the dressings! So after I ate I remembered and took a photo of a patty before cooking.
This recipe makes 6 burgers.
What you'll use from your bag:
- Summer Squash (at least 1 cup cut coarsely in chunks)
- String beans (fist full)
- Onion (1/4 of a medium size onion, chopped)
- Garlic (2 cloves, chopped)
- Leeks (1/4 cup chopped-optional, if you have any left from last week)
- Beets (1/2 cup pureed -optional, if you have any left from last week)
- Turnips (1- optional, if you have any left from last week)
- Tomato (to put on top)
- Cucumber (to put on top)
- Quinoa or Brown Rice (1/2 cup, cooked & chilled)
- Burger Buns
- Any other dressings you like for your burgers- I like avacado, sprouts, & spicy brown mustard
- Olive Oil (splash)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa or rice and chill it immediately- put it in the freezer to speed it up if you are trying to do this in one shot
- Saute the garlic, onion, and leeks (if using) in a pan with a splash of olive oil- remove & set aside in a medium mixing bowl
- Puree the squash until it is smooth, put in the bowl with the garlic/onion saute
- Puree the string beans, beets, & turnips (if using)
- Puree the cold rice or quinoa and add to the bowl
- Combine everything together with your hands and form into patties
- Season with salt & pepper if you like
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and add your burgers, cook a few minutes on low/medium heat (if the heat is too high all the little particles of veggies & quinoa will burn.) Be a little gentle when flipping- if then ends fall part, they can easily be formed back together with your spatula :)
- Serve on toasted buns with your cucumber, tomato, and whatever else you are using.