BTW the amount of veggies that I recommend using in the "what you'll use from your bag" section is based on the size of the stuff we get from our specific CSA so if you're following along with this during the CSA, this should be about accurate but if you're buying this stuff from the store you'll need less (about half)of these things b/c they will be bigger in size.
What you'll use from your bag:
- Sweet Potatoes (4-5) You can substitute/add any potato if the CSA crop isn't enough
- Carrots (4-5) Diced Medium
- Beets (2-3) Diced Medium
- Choi ( handful)
What else you'll need:
- Mushrooms (1 cup)
- Peas (1/2 cup)
- Yellow onion (1/2 medium sized, chopped )
- Celery Root (1/2 medium sized, diced - if available, if not don't worry about it)
- Tomato Paste (2 Tbs)
- All Purpose Flour (1 Tbs)
- Soy Sauce (2 Tbs)
- Olive Oil (2 Tbs)
- Non-Dairy Milk or Yogurt (1/2 - 3/4 Cup)
- Veg or Mushroom Broth (2 cups)
- Thyme (1 Tsp)
- Water (3 Tbs)
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- If you wish, peel (or not) the potatoes. Cut them in 4ths to boil. Boil them in a large pot until tender. Drain, return potatoes to the pot and mash coarsely with the milk/yogurt salt and pepper. Then set aside
- Chop onion, carrot, & celery root while potatoes are boiling.
- Turn on your oven broiler
Then, Make the Filling:
- Heat Olive Oil in a large frying pan at medium heat, and add mushrooms & saute for about 5 minutes, then add the onion, salt and pepper and saute about 3 more minutes
- Add diced celery root (if using), carrots, beets, choi, tomato paste, & thyme and stir to coat the veggies.
- Add Veggie Broth and soy sauce & stir until incorporated. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and water and stir until smooth. Then pour the flour mixture onto the veggies in the saute pan and stir to incorporate- simmer until sauce thickens, 2 minutes or so.
- Then stir in the peas & season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
Next, Combine Everything:
- Transfer veggie mixture from saute pan into a baking dish about 8x10 or 3 quarts
- Gently lay the sweet potato mash on top
- Broil in the oven until the top browns & gets crispy- about 5-10 minutes